17 September 2007

My friend


I once had a great friend, his name was Brian.


For some reason I have been thinking about him alot lately, not really sure why. Last time I spoke to him was February 15, 1999.


We were called mutual aid to a fire in a lil suburb of Ft. Worth, apon arrival there were reports of three firemen trapped inside. The roof collapsed and they were stuck. I got on the radio and had the last conversation Brian and I would ever have in this world. They were in a corner, stuck but still had a workin hose line and holdin their own. I promised him I'd git him out. He knew I would.

After we started breaching a wall he called out his hose quit, he thought it was burned thru, "Please hurry if ya can."

After that we got feedback over the radios until his melted and heard P.A.S.S. alarms sounding until they failed too. (Alarms we wear to let other firemen know we are down, most of y'all have heard them on 9/11 footage, that annoyin lil chirp soundin over and over on the videos)

His first fire bout 20 years before, when he was 16, was at a church, his last was at this church.

Brian and two other firefighters died that day. It was late afternoon when we pulled them out and brought them home.

7 comments:

Marni said...

That breaks my heart. Thank you for sharing.

Coffeypot said...

Had to be the hardest day of your life. I'm sorry you had to go through it, but now the world knows about Brian and his good friend, KB.

katy said...

that is so sad, and thank you to you and all of those who do a great job, you are all heros

DJ Kirkby said...

R.I.P Brian

CindyDianne said...

Yesterday I told KB that I was surprised that he posted about Brian. He told me that he deserved it. Yes he does.

I am sorry I never got to meet him.

Biddie said...

No wonder you're thinking of him. He sounds like a true hero to me.
Thanks for sharing :)

Mermaid Melanie said...

Thank you for sharing this. i appreciated reading it.