01 August 2007

Measure of a Man

I can distinctly remember the first time somebody I really looked up to called me a man. I was 19 and a Captain on a big city fire department, we were workin with, looked me in the eye and called me a man after a particularly hard fight. Sure it sounds like a small word, but it ain't.

I had been called a man for quite awhile, like when the ol' boys at the feed store I'd go to as a kid would ask me how "Little man" was as I walked in with my grandpa. There were countless other times as I grew up, but this time I had earned the title.

It felt really good, made me walk a lil taller, and mosey a lil prouder, mostly made me think of my Grandpa. Because of him I knew how to be a man. (My Grandpa & I will definitely be a whole blog or three.)

I couldn't wait to git back to the station and call him, like I often did when the day was long. We were deep into our conversation, when, in that quiet voice my Grandpa said "Well, today you are a man, welcome to it." At the time I didn't really know what he meant, just was thrilled to hear those words again.

As the years passed I learned. Bein a man has absolutely nothing to do with age. It is an awesome responsibility that you earn. I, for one, can think of nothin better to be.

4 comments:

Coffeypot said...

You are definitely right. It doesn’t matter how big you are or how old you are. It's how you conduct yourself in life and how you face your responsibilities. But to here it from two men you admire and respect who does not pass out compliments like loosely, it is everything.

CindyDianne said...

and what a man...

Coffeypot said...

MR. KB, you have been tagged.

DJ Kirkby said...

Oh what a beautiful post! Brought a tear to my eyes!